The last few days have been so weird for me, but also kind of great. All of a sudden, I have been talking to so many old, good friends, and it is really kind of uncanny and bizarre. All at once! Like there was a timer for how long I/people could be back in New York post-college without feeling this desire to rekindle old friendships, and the timer just went off. It's like we all simultaneously came to an unspoken consensus about exactly how long it was ok to be apart for, and that grace period is over. What's up with that? I've got no complaints. No such thing as too many friends -- new, old, renewed, or otherwise.
First of all, Ferrante facebooked me, which blew my mind with the awesome. Then I got wall posts from Sam Wiener, which is great. And then, today, Lindsay Podd imed me while I was at work and we ended up having this really great conversation. We talked for a good hour and a half straight, with no pause. She seemed really repentant about our past, which was really unnecessary. It was so weird, it was like we somehow managed to pretend the last, oh, 6 fucking years never happened. We basically pretended we never had a nasty, ugly falling out, and that tenth grade was last year and we just hadn't talked in a while. The way I see it, this is exactly the way things should be in situations like this. We were once very good friends, and the fact that our friendship ended pretty bitterly just does not matter to me anymore, at all. I was such a different person when I was 16 and so was everyone else -- it's impossible to hold a former friend's 16-year-old actions against her. Minus the shared experience (which, granted, is important), we are virtually strangers. Talking to an old friend like Lindsay today was in some ways a lot like making a totally new friend. Whatever it was, it was wonderful. I'd love to try to be friends again.
I was in Smithtown last weekend for my Aunt and Uncle's 40th anniversary dinner. Sam came with me. Saturday night we went out drankin' with Lisa, Kenny, Kenny's girlfriend, and Walter fucking Mayer and Mike fucking Jordan. I hadn't seen Walter in a long time, and Mike in a longer time. It was so, so good to see them both. It led me on a long and unwieldy trip down memory lane. At least 3/4 of my high school experience involved these guys in a pretty major way. Anyway, we hadn't hung out in such a long time that neither of them had ever seen me drink before (!!), so I stupidly seemed to feel compelled to get totally hammered and make a fool of myself. Whatever, pretty much worth it. It would make me happy to see Walter and Mike more often. Two of my all-time faves, for sure.
My birthday is Saturday, and you're invited to come to my house for a party if you'd like! There will be beer and liquor and cakes and cookies. And lots of friends, hopefully including several of the aforementioned old friends.
OLIVIA COHEN WANTS TO LEAVE BOSTON AND MOVE TO NEW YORK AND BE WITH ME FOREVER. Nothing excites me more than this. Nothing. I would cut some bitches to be able to live with Olivia again. Oh, yay.
Also, Sam is the best.
Also, I love non sequiturs.
K goodnight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment